Saturday, March 10, 2012

A Busy Time Lately

We have a lot to catch up on here in Cowland. As always, projects are being created, techniques are evolving, and there always seems to be something to do. With a change in my dialysis schedule, I'm finding much more time to be in the studio, and even manage to find time to do nothing but read a great book. It's not easy getting up at 3am three times a week, but being home very early (in fact, before I used to leave) has marvelous benefits.

I love cows. I have cows across the street

that like to watch you shoveling snow, and cows that sit quietly in the kitchen, like Daisy, featured in this next photo.
Do you have cows?

Still in the farm category, food comes to mind. What's better than fresh cow's milk for breakfast, but bacon. Right? Who doesn't love bacon? So, in honor of our favorite food (not necessarily for breakfast), I painted up this Tshirt the other day.
A close up of my work:

Eventually, I'm going to make a new backsplash for the kitchen, so I've been experimenting and playing with faux finishes that I might paint on it. This is a recycled plastic tray that I painted to look like wood-
And a close up:
These river cobbles were painted on a 5x5" tile (it was handy and cheap). It's my first attempt at these little guys, and I'm not sure if I like them or not, or if they would fit well in the kitchen decor.

Marble is a wonderful surface to recreate and I've repainted a small three legged table top to resemble gray marble (which has since met it's demise), but this green tinted bottle needed some green marble to jazz it up.

Then, to break up the faux painting, I painted this hawk one day. I might just give it to a friend who was instrumental in getting me an earlier on-time for dialysis.

We've had a shelf in the kitchen for a long time, and it was a nondescript dark brown with no interesting grain, as you can see:

I had so much success painting glass votive holders to look like bamboo, that this shelf just had to change. My husband calls this his 'shrine'. His favorite chef knives are above the shelf, attached to a bamboo magnetized rack. The 'bamboo' votive holders house battery operated votive candles, and the shelf just sits there beautifully, happy to have a new image!
The small cutting board is actual bamboo. Below, on the counter, is a bamboo knife block, and we also have a bamboo napkin holder. It's an eco-friendly product, but it's also FUN to paint!

The little creek is up from snow melt, but the weather is supposed to warm up into the 60s this coming week. It's almost time to plant some seeds and build some raised garden bed sections.

As always, feel free to drop a note in the comment section below. I love to hear from my readers! You can also catch me on Cowland Studio's facebook page.



Toodles


Cowland Studio









No comments:

Post a Comment