Friday, August 12, 2011

Tin Transformation






Ever need a certain something to carry another little certain something so it doesn't get lost in the bottom of your bag, or the glove compartment, or your pocket?
I always seem to need to carry something- something that can't get lost- because sure enough, I'm going to need to get my hands on it right quick! The Tin Transformation takes care of that for me. They're easy and fairly quick to do in their simple form. And the possibilities are endless when it comes to your preferred alteration.
Let's start with a tin and a tiny dab of gesso~




After the paint is dry, it's time to be artsy-craftsy. Do you want to just paint it? Add a different element? I chose fabric for the center because the print really caught my eye. Cutting a template so the fabric fit well in the 'frame' took some well placed words of wisdom that we won't go in to!
Using Matte Mod Podge, thoroughly coat the back of the fabric piece and let it dry. This will keep the fabric from fraying after it is cut to size. (Thanks to Amy from Mod Podge Rocks for that tip!)
When you're sure the fabric is going to fit just so, apply Mod Podge again and stick that little thing in place. You'll be able to move it around a very little before it sets.




Now what to do?
As always, I chose to paint for the final. Not long ago, I made myself a color chart, showing every color I have with their corresponding names and make. I moved the tin down the side of the purples to find the match. Later, I realized one of my new colors just matched that funky yellow-green, so I added that to the line up. At this point, I walked out of the studio to let the last part of the process simmer.
That particular shade of purple worked well around the little border. Adding Plaid's New Leaf Green set off the fabric print, so I liked that.




Not bad, but something's missing. Well, not really. It was staring me straight in the face the whole time. So-
I carried the print of the fabric over on to the painted side, doing my best to match it.

Now it was complete. After a coat of all purpose sealer, the painted area was still a little tacky, so I slapped on a coat of clear nail polish. Five minutes later, I could stuff in it whatever would fit.

And that's my secret!


Oh, go ahead. Try it. You'll like it!

Toodles.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Kat, that is so fun! I love the bright purple!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Amy! It's a purple world for me!

    ReplyDelete