Sunday, July 31, 2011
A used water bottle and some old chime tubes can spice up your window, or your porch, or your garden, or anywhere! Some cutting, painting, and a lot of cussing attaching the tubes is well worth the effort, although I wouldn't want to do this on a daily basis.
I selected a design I had recently finished, and lo and behold, it fit around the bottle perfectly! Phew. Start an opening on the bottom of the bottle and cut out your design, like so-
If the chime tubes are plain, giving them a dash of paint, whether one flat color or patterns, seems to add just a little umph. Leaving them alone or painting them has not affected their sound.
After some cussing and aching fingers from knotting, the wind chime is complete.
Hang it up. Admire it. Let it sing for you!
Friday, July 29, 2011
For something that started out as a crazy idea, this project really took me by surprise. A few things frustrated me to no end, but the whole thing ended up so cute, I just had to give it to my husband, knowing he would 'plant' it in his prized bucket garden. His reaction to it was priceless.
Let's roll the details.
Cutting the can was easier than I thought. I made the initial cut with a heavy duty craft blade, then switched over to the heavy duty kitchen shears. The petals cut nicely. The little long triangular pieces in between were left attached. I'd figure out the color later.
To make sure the acrylics stayed stuck, I spray painted both sides in flat white, making sure the front had a few coats to cover the can colors.
Before I started painting, I bent the petals just a little near the center to give them a little form. They might be manipulated more, but at the time, I wasn't willing to try. The colors started popping into my head.
The one section of aluminum left over after cutting the petals suited me just fine. I bent this piece and painted it the same color as the stem (a bamboo skewer) to wrap around the stem come gluing time. Which was now.
Greetings from the bucket garden!
Thursday, July 28, 2011
We moved to our new place a week before Thanksgiving, and it happens to have a large, covered front porch crying for decoration.
The north end post holds this bright guy, greeting the birds, squirrels, chipmunks, and us!
These are painted strictly in metallics. They have survived the elements nicely without benefit of varnish or clear spray. The wind, however, can be a problem. It lifted one right off the hook and smashed it to pieces on the decking. Now, when it gets breezy, the faces come down.
Watch for these in the spring. They're well worth the painting & hanging!
A little paint, glue, and ribbon later, a chalkboard was born. A magnet on the back holds it in place. So you don't have to go hunting that elusive piece of chalk, I attached a ribbon to wrap around it.
This is my first post. At the time I made this chalkboard, I wasn't taking 'in progress' pictures, but this project really doesn't need them. Future posts will have step-by-step pictures and more detailed explanations. Sometimes, I 'paint' myself into a corner. Sometimes a project goes easy, like this one. And sometimes everything goes so easily I have to shake my head and wonder what I did wrong, even though the finished product looks just fine and dandy! You just never know!
Catch you in a few...